Sunday, January 23, 2011

On Campus:best wifi connection

Last semester during finals week I felt like someone was out to get me. I normally study on BYU campus in the Tanner building where I have great connectivity with my macbook to BYU’s secure server. For whatever reason that wasn’t the case this time. In a hurry to make best use of my time studying prior to my finals I then went to the next best place to go and study; the library.

For those quick thinkers you probably know what I’m about to say. Going to the library was definitely NOT a good idea. More crowded than the Tanner building, I found myself searching every level of the library trying to find a spot that I could settle on and connect to the Internet.


I should probably point out why it was so important that I had Internet connection. The reason being is I needed to the Google docs! That’s where all the study guides were. (If you haven’t started making use of Google docs while studying I strongly encourage you to do so, it’s been the best thing that’s happened to my college experience).


Once I found what I thought was the perfect spot in the library, I opened up my computer and sure enough, the Internet was SUPER SLOW! Where could I go? I packed my stuff up again and left the library quite frustrated.


I started heading toward the Wilkinson Center when I looked to the left and saw the HFAC (Harris Fine Arts Center). I must have been inspired because I walked in there and found a nice spot to study and the Internet worked beautifully.

BYU campus, Harris Fine Arts Center

I was able to study the next four hours without a slow connection--life was good. But why was the Internet working so well here? Well, this is what I came up with.


The HFAC is the arts buildings; people studying there are working on art. If they’re using a computer to assist with that art I’m confident they're using Photoshop or some other graphic design program. And for those not using a computer they're singing or playing a musical instrument.


After this realization I felt that I had found a goldmine. I actually am a bit hesitant to share this info here because I don’t want to find a lot of students in the HFAC studying for finals this semester. Oh well, for the greater good right?


Word of warning: make sure your computer is fully charged before studying here because there aren’t many outlets around. Also, make sure you bring headphones unless you enjoy hearing random outburst of song.


If you’ve discovered other great places to study especially during final weeks please comment and let us know what you know.


No comments:

Post a Comment